New Homes Raleigh NC
Kitchen Island Styles
New Home Trends and Ideas for the Kitchen
A kitchen island can be an integral part of your new home kitchen design. When designed correctly, a kitchen island can work well in an extra large or extra small kitchen.
Islands can be accessed from all sides, which makes them ideal for both workspaces and storage.
A kitchen island can feature display shelves, drawers, and cabinetry.
Kitchen islands can be a beautiful feature in luxury homes or affordable custom homes.
The style, size, and design depend on both taste and budget.
Looking to keep your kitchen costs down? Consider an island with one bank of full cabinets, with a great seating area.
Add some pendant lighting to emphasize this focal point of the kitchen.
In some kitchens, the island can provide the majority of the counter space.
Guests and family can be seated around the kitchen island while meals are prepared.
Homework routines can even revolve around the kitchen island - it's easy to answer those math questions while chopping vegetables!
Thinking of moving the kitchen sink to your kitchen island?
Here's some thoughts to consider:
- Is there enough room for the dishwasher next to the sink (both depth and width)?
- Can the dishwasher open comfortably, with room to walk around?
- Is there room to include a pull out garbage bin/recycle center?
- Can the silverware be stored near the dishwasher?
- Is it possible to use dual height counters to better hide those dirty dishes?
Want to use the kitchen island mainly for food prep?
Keep these thoughts in mind:
- Are there outlets for small appliances?
- Is the refrigerator and cooktop conveniently close?
- Do you want a prep sink?
- Should you consider a butcher block counter?
Looking to cook at the kitchen island?
You'll want to talk to your builder about:
- Countertop materials: should it be heat resistant for ease of cooking with hot pans?
- Is there at least 18 inches of counterspace on either side of the range or cooktop?
- Can an overdraft hood be added, or is a downdraft cooktop required? What is the additional cost versus a typical range or cooktop?
- Should a raised eating area be included?
Will you dine frequently at the kitchen island?
Discuss your options for informal dining at the kitchen island.
- How many can you seat comfortably at the island?
- Should stools be tucked away when not in use?
- How much will seating limit your storage options?
- What height should the island be? Do you want two heights?
Your new kitchen island design should reflect your taste, be fully functional, and be ready for multiple uses and plenty of storage.
Talk to your builder about your ideas for your kitchen island design. Bring pictures of what you have in mind. Your builder will help you decide what's right for you, based on budget, size of kitchen, traffic flow, and much more!
The Raleigh area offers many great places to live, including Angier, Apex, Bear Creek, Cary, Chapel Hill, Coats, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, Harnett County, Hillsborough, Holly Springs, Knightdale, Morrisville, Pittsboro, Siler City, Silk Hope, Rolesville, Wake Forest, and Wendell.
You may also be interested in these other Raleigh new home articles - top tips straight from Raleigh's most exceptional new home builder, Stanton Homes.
Available New Homes:
New Custom Homes in the Raleigh Area - and throughout central North Carolina
Stanton Homes makes building your new custom home easy! We'll guide you through the entire process - select from thousands of different floor plans, and hundreds of different locations. Your custom home is going to be extraordinary when you create it with one of the nation’s top fully involved builders and the high quality materials and craftsmanship that our reputation is built on.
Call 919-278-8070 to find out more about new homes in the Raleigh area today.